We are delighted to announce the Great Reads Award shortlist for 2017! There is great diversity among the titles this year with something to suit all tastes. See below for more information. All of the books are available in the library, and extra copies of each arrived today. 📚📚📚Voting will be open soon. Meanwhile enjoy reading and have your say! ✌😍📚🤓
Read as many of these books as you like – preferably all five in your category! Let us know what you think at #GRAIrl on FB, Twitter, or Instagram. Rate your book on www.greatreadsaward.com/rateyourbook by Friday 12th January 2018. We will count the scores from all around Ireland and the winning titles in each category will be announced in February 2018. Students in any second level school are welcome to take part. There will also be a prize for the school that submits the ratings. Have your say!
SO many books 😱🤤
D.E.A.R. – Drop Everything And Read – On Friday Our Lady’s School was involved in the nationwide D.E.A.R.! It was so much fun to be able to stop working and get our books out. A huge thank you to all of the participating teachers! 👍 We definitely want more of this kind of thing!
- Book Clubs – Our Junior Book Club meets every Wednesday at lunchtime in the library. Starting from this month we also have an online version of our Book Club in both Junior and Senior formats. The idea behind this is to allow anyone to read the Book Club monthly picks in their own time, and then discuss them here in the comments! The Senior version allows for both senior students, as well as teachers and parents, and anyone else who would like to join in on the reading fun! In September, we hope to have a Senior Book Club monthly meeting in the library! You can see the current monthly picks by clicking on the book clubs below There is now a ‘Book Clubs’ tab on the websites main menu 🤓✌📖
- Reading Reps Meeting – As well as consolidating all of the Parent Reading Habits survey information (see below), our Reading Reps decided on a new theme for the month. So moving on from Mystery Month, we are now into Fantasy Month! 🦄🦄🦄🦄 Look out for fantasy posters around the school, and come check out a fantasy book from the library! Take a look at the fantasy options on the library’s online catalogue here.
- Parent Reading Habits Survey results
It turns out that parents of OLS students love to read :)~58% of those surveyed read on a daily basis. The other 42% varied between, every few days, once a week or less often.
~61% prefer to read in the evening, while 29% like to read at any opportunity!
~55% spend around 30 minutes reading at a time, while 30% read for an hour or more, and the rest 20 minutes or less.
~Fiction, biographies, and specifically crime fiction and mysteries are the most popular types of books with OLS parents!
~And finally, from the MANY listed favourite books, the most common ones were ‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zuzak, ‘The Kite Runner’ by Khaled Hosseini, ‘Pride and Prejudice’ by Jane Austen, and ‘The Girl on the Train’ by Paula Hawkins.Well done to the parents for even deciding on favourites, we know how hard it is! Thank you so much for taking part in the survey, and a very well done to the Reading Reps for carrying out the survey and for tallying the results! 🤓📖✌
- CBI Shadowing Scheme – Delighted to report that the shadowing of the CBI Book Awards books is going brilliantly! Everyone seems to be particularly enjoying ‘The Call’ by Peadar O’ Guilin. As well as that we have some secret and exciting news regarding the Shadowing Scheme that we will soon be able to share with everyone! 😎
- Monthly Book Review Competition – This Friday is the deadline for April’s Book Review Competition (where did April go?!) To enter you just need to review any book and give it a star rating out of five. Then email your review to email@example.com to be in with a chance of winning a €10 book token! Get writing! 💸💸💸
Take a look at the library on Twitter @ourladyslibrary
You might have seen some very artistic Mystery themed posters around the school, these are down to our school Reading Reps, who are hosting Mystery Month! 🕵
The idea is to get us all reading something new and exciting, and what’s more exciting than a mystery?! Get on board by checking out any of our mystery tagged books in the library, and start talking about and recommending books to your classmates! 📖❤
You’ll find a list of some of the ‘mystery’ tagged books that we have in the library here. Have other book recommendations? Comment below!
Come in and take a look at our Mystery display, featuring some of the posters made by the Reading Reps and a selection of mysteries.
Expect another exciting theme next month! Well done to our lovely Reading Reps!! ✌🤓
Check out the library on Twitter @DumblebearSays
Check out our cute new posters in the library! 😊📖💖🤓☕📚
Check out the library on Twitter @DumblebearSays